This BCI certified bat house is pre-built and customized for your location (bat houses need to be painted and ventilated based on your weather, see below). Your local bats will love it!
Note: Now offer shipping to Ontario and Quebec Canada. Canadian Price includes all taxes and duties.
Why get a bat house?
Bats need your help! Unfortunately, many of the 1,300 bat species in the world are considered to be threatened and declining. One cause is habitat loss and degradation. A bat house provides a safe place for bats to live and raise their young during the warmer months before hibernation.
Bats are important to the ecosystem. A single brown bat is known to eat more than 1000 insects in a night, making them great for flying insect control (especially mosquitoes!).
Additionally, bat guano (feces) is an excellent fertilizer, making it a great addition to your yard and garden.
Bat Conservation International Certification
Bat Conservation International (BCI) is dedicated to the enduring protection of the world’s 1300+ species of bats and their habitats and creating a world in which bats and humans successfully coexist.
Many commercial bat houses are not suitable for bats because of inadequate design or construction, or they lack proper instructions concerning painting, placement, sun exposure and mounting.
BCI's Bat Approved Certification Program has worked since 1998 to improve the quality of bat houses by reviewing and certifying bat houses that meet their strict standards of design.
This bat house has been officially certified by BCI.
1 Chamber Certified Bat House
- Dimensions: L 35.5" x W 18" x D 2.5"
- Weight: 22 lbs.
- Bat Capacity: 50-150
2 Chamber Certified Bat House
- Dimensions: L 35.5" x W 18" x D 4"
- Weight: 26 lbs.
- Bat Capacity: 150-300
3 Chamber Certified Bat House
- Dimensions: L 35.5" x W 18" x D 6"
- Weight: 30 lbs.
- Bat Capacity: 200-400
4 Chamber Certified Bat House
- Dimensions: L 35.5" x W 18" x D 7.25"
- Weight: 35 lbs.
- Bat Capacity: 250-450
Zone & Paint Color
The bat house color greatly affects whether or not bats will take up residency. Darker colors absorb more sunlight which will create hotter internal temperatures. Consult the map below to figure out what color will work best for your location. If you are unsure which zone to choose, then please contact us and we can help!
Bat house paint color recommendations are based on the average daily high temperatures in July.
- Zone 1 (blue areas) less than 85˚ = Black paint color
- Zone 2 (green areas) 85˚-95˚ = Dark gray paint color
- Zone 3 (yellow areas) 95˚-100˚ = Medium gray paint color
- Zone 4 (light pink areas) 100˚+ = Light gray paint color
Chambers are partitions inside the bat house. These chambers give the bats a place to roost (space for bats to live). The higher number of chambers, the more space available, which can increase the number of bats that choose to reside inside the bat house.
Ventilation slots help reduce the internal temperature of the bat house. The ideal internal temperature is between 80° and 100° degrees fahrenheit.
Bat houses in zones 2, 3, and 4 come with ventilation slots because those regions have an average temperature in July of 85 degrees or more. Zone 1 does not come with ventilation slots because it is a cooler region.
The number of slots we use are based on BCI recommendations. Please contact us if you want to modify the number of vents.
What Makes Our Bat Houses Unique
- Built to Bat Conservation International standards.
- Custom made to work optimally in your geographic location. If we notice anything off with your order we will contact you and make the appropriate adjustments.
- We use environmentally friendly materials such as nontoxic wood stain and local wood from pine trees already damaged in storms and natural disasters.
- 20 year roof shingles to prevent leakage from rain and snow.
- Chambers are 7/8 inches apart which offer bats an optimal place to roost while also deterring unwanted guests such as bees, hornets and squirrels.
- We use marine grade plastic netting (on the landing only) that will allow bats to land and take off safely without getting tangled.
- All joints are sealed with exterior silicone caulk-glue to ensure a water and air tight seal.
- The large landing hangs 5" below the entrance allowing plenty of space for bats to land and exit.
- Constructed from 1" rough cut pine boards for better insulation against heat and cold.
- Shipping & Returns
Since our products are hand-made and customized for you, the construction time will take approximately 3-5 business days. Shipping will take an additional 2-7 business days via UPS Ground. If you need your order expedited, please contact us and we'll see what we can do. We currently only ship to the continental United States.
You may return a product within 30 days of the delivery date as long as the product is in the original condition. The purchaser is responsible for the return shipping cost.
BAT HOUSE MOUNTING RECOMMENDATIONS (Per Bat Conservation International))
Bats prefer roosts mounted on buildings or other large wooden or concrete structures to those mounted on poles or on trees (not recommended). But pole mounts work well in climates that are moderate to hot, without extreme variance between day and night temperatures.